School of Music & Theater
231 Lincoln Hall
- B.A., B.S.—Musicology/Ethnomusicology, Music Theory, Performance, Sonic Arts & Music Production (SAMP) and Theater Arts
- B.M.—Composition, Jazz Studies, Music Education, and Performance
- Minor in Dance, Minor in Jazz Studies, Minor in Music, Minor in Music History, and Minor in Theater Arts
- Secondary Education Program —Drama
- Certificate in Dance
- M.A., M.S. —Music and Theater Arts
- M.M.—Conducting, Jazz Studies, and Performance
The School of Music & Theater exists to provide professional training and liberal-arts based education to a highly diverse student body in the areas of performance, conducting, jazz studies, music technology, music education, composition and theater arts. In addition, the School provides general training in music and theater where students study theory, history, literature, pedagogy, composition, improvisation, music technology, ethnomusicology, acting, theatrical production and writing. Framed by the University’s motto, “Let Knowledge Serve the City ” the School of Music & Theater offers a wide spectrum of activities by students, faculty, and guest artists which enhances the artistic and cultural life of the city of Portland.
As part of an urban university, the School of Music & Theater acknowledges its responsibility to support the creative interaction of students, faculty and community through activities that enhance the educational experience and provide opportunities for professional development within the city and region. The School embraces the dual goals of open access and outstanding achievement in order to produce graduates who make a significant impact in the performing arts profession nationally and internationally. Our dedicated professional faculty provide a diverse student body with an educational experience that promotes appreciation for and participation in the performing arts.