Special Education Licensure Programs
The PSU College of Education offers licensure and endorsement programs for:
- Persons seeking their special education initial Oregon teaching license.
- Persons seeking elementary education initial Oregon teaching license and an elementary special education endorsement through an integrated dual program (Inclusive Elementary Educator Program)..
- Persons seeking mid-level and/or secondary education initial Oregon teaching license in a content area and a special education endorsement through an integrated dual program (Secondary Dual Education Program).
- Teachers who hold a valid Oregon teaching license in general education and wish to add the special education endorsement.
- Teachers who hold a valid Oregon teaching license in special education and wish to take advanced specialty coursework as part of their continuing professional development plan.
- Persons who wish to complete a Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Science (M.S.) degree in special education.
Dual endorsement options
The Special Education program offers a dual endorsement option in elementary education (general education licensure) and special education, referred to as the Inclusive Elementary Educators Program (IEEP). A Secondary Dual Endorsement Program (SDEP) is offered in mid-level high-school education and special education. Students who complete these programs receive two endorsements and their master's degree.
In addition to a bachelor’s degree, experience in education such as: early childhood special education, elementary, mid-level, or secondary teacher, instructional assistant, substitute teacher, or community experience is strongly recommended. Applicants without experience are encouraged to enroll in UnSt 421 or SpEd 460 Outdoor Ed/Recreation for a two-week summer camp experience at Mt. Hood Kiwanis Camp with students with disabilities to determine if they wish to pursue a career serving populations with special needs.
Learn more about special education programs on our web page for prospective students or attending one of our advising sessions.
PSU offers programs leading to state licensure and endorsements in the following areas: