Master of Science or Master of Arts
Admission to the Master’s program in the Department of Economics is online at https://www.pdx.edu/graduate-admissions/apply. In addition to the University admissions requirements, department requirements are:
- GPA Requirements: Admission to the Economics program is highly competitive and requires a minimum of a 3.00 GPA in overall undergraduate coursework.
- Coursework: Undergraduate courses in Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Statistics, Econometrics and Multivariate Calculus, as well as Linear Algebra, are required for admission.
- Testing: Minimum GRE scores of 300 (quantitative and verbal combined). Request that Educational Testing Services (ETS) send a copy of your scores to 4610 (Portland State University). The GMAT with a score of 520 or higher may be considered in lieu of the GRE. The TOEFL or IELTS is required for University admission for international students, unless they have a degree from a university in Australia, English-speaking Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, New Zealand or the U.S. See University minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements at https://www.pdx.edu/graduate-admissions/english-language-proficiency
- Recommendations: Three (3) letters of recommendation, at least two of which must be from economics professors.
- Statement of Purpose: Approximately 500-word essay on goals and aspirations for entering and completing the graduate program.
- Application/Transcripts: Transcripts from ALL other institutions (other than PSU) you have attended. If you are admitted to the program, you will need an official transcript sent directly from your other institutions to the Graduate School.