Graduate Program

The Department of Political Science offers programs leading to both a master of arts (M.A.) and a master of science (M.S.) degree. The master's program has a strong academic orientation. Through an immersion in political science scholarship, student are prepared for careers in the public or private sector that call for analytical acumen and clarity in written and oral communication. The Department also participates in the Public Affairs and Policy Ph.D. Program.

Admission requirements

Political Science M.A./M.S.

Admission requirements

The master's program generally attracts students with undergraduate degrees in political science, but is open to students with a wide variety of disciplinary backgrounds. The program admits graduate students during the fall term. Procedures and deadlines for applications are provided on the program website (


The following materials should be submitted through the application link found on the Graduate School's website.

  • Non-refundable $65 application fee (no cash)
  • One transcript from each post-secondary institution attended (both sides need to be uploaded)
  • A 500 word statement of intent. The statement should address the following: 1) Professional goals; 2) Planned area of study; 3) Desired employment sector; 4) How the degree furthers achievement of your professional goals
  • Two recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic and/or professional capabilities. Preferably, the letters should be from former instructors or from individuals with knowledge of your professional performance and potential.
  • The scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Please note that you should make arrangements to take the GRE well in advance of the application deadline.
  • Measles Vaccine Form
  • Official TOEFL scores if the applicant does not speak English as a native language and has not received a graduate or undergraduate degree in an English-speaking territory.
  • Statement of Financial Support and Declaration of Finances (if International)
  • International Applicants who currently reside in the United States with an F-1 or J-1 visa must fill out the SEVIS form