Leroy E. Bynum, Jr., Dean
Barbara Heilmair, Associate Dean
Lincoln Hall 349
- B.A., B.S.—Architecture, Art History, Film, Music Performance, Music Theory, Musicology/Ethnomusicology, Sonic Arts and Music Production, Theater Arts
- B.F.A.—Art Practice, Graphic Design
- B.M.—Composition, Jazz Studies, Music Education, Performance, Performance with an Emphasis in Voice
- Certificate in Art History
- Certificate in Dance
- Minor in Architecture; Art History; Art Practice; Dance; Design Management (non-art majors only); Film Studies; Graphic Design; Music; Music History; Theater Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Public Interest Design
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Design
- M.A., M.S.—Music, Theater Arts (suspended)
- M.M.—Conducting, Jazz Studies, Performance
- M.Arch.—Architecture (2-year and 3-year tracks)
- M.F.A.—Contemporary Art Practice
The College of the Arts prepares talented students for creative careers and lifelong enrichment through intellectual discovery and myriad cultural experiences. Students are challenged to see their work within the artistic and critical traditions that provoke their own creative thinking and to seek interdisciplinary approaches and collaboration in both local and global contexts. Located on the Park Blocks in downtown Portland, the College joins the Portland Art Museum and Portland Center for the Performing Arts in the heart of the city's cultural district. Within blocks of the College, theaters, galleries, professional studios, and design and architectural firms provide a stimulating environment in which our students develop through interactions and internships. The combination of a celebrated faculty and a professional arts community creates exciting undergraduate and graduate programs with rigorous standards in all four Schools within the College—Architecture, Art + Design, Film, and Music & Theater.
Policy on admission to undergraduate programs
Students may declare the major at any time after enrolling at Portland State University, with the exception of Music, which requires admission immediately. Specific application deadlines, criteria for admission and applications are available on respective School websites.
Students transferring from other institutions who want to be admitted formally to a specific degree program must:
• Meet all eligibility requirements.
• Apply for admission to PSU.
• Have one copy of their transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions.
• Apply for program admission to the School of choice (including, if requested, one copy of their transcripts sent to the School of their choice).
Please see individual School websites for more specific admissions information.