Fulbright Program

Director: Debra Z. Clemans
Assistant: Karin Waller

Karl Miller Center, Suite 610


Portland State participates in the Fulbright Program, first founded in 1946 by Senator J. William Fulbright and expanded in 1961 as the Fulbright-Hays Act. Awards available include those offered by the U.S. government, foreign governments, universities, and private donors, and most are managed by IIE, the Institute of International Education. Grants are available to qualified undergraduate and graduate students and alumni for teaching or advanced research, to qualified faculty for lecturing and research, and to teachers for overseas teacher programs. Non-US citizens also have opportunities through Fulbright.

Grants for Study, Research, or Teaching Abroad

Fulbright opportunities for US students are announced annually on April 1 with submission deadlines in late Summer/early Fall. The annual campus deadline is September 8 for awards in the US student program that begin the following academic year. Information sessions are held in Spring term. The director manages PSU’s campus interview process and assists applicants throughout the application cycle. https://us.fulbrightonline.org/

US/UK Summer Institutes for Undergraduates

Fulbright Summer Programs to the UK are available to undergraduate US students with at least two years of study left to complete. Contact Debra Clemans to learn more. http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-uk/uk-summer-institutes  Deadlines occur in winter term. 

University Lecturing and/or Advanced Research

The Office of International Affairs provides information to faculty on grants for university lecturing or advanced research. The application deadline for many faculty and professional level programs is late summer each year. This program also sends non-US scholars and researchers from overseas universities to the US. Visit https://www.cies.org/ or contact Debra Clemans to learn about how to invite a scholar from overseas to study, teach, or do research in your department at Portland State University.

Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad

This Fulbright-Hays program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to twelve months. Deadlines vary. Visit http://www2.ed.gov/programs/iegpsddrap/index.html and contact Debra Clemans at clemansd@pdx.edu if you decide to apply.

Fulbright for Foreign Students

Fulbright offers awards to students from outside the US through embassies and Fulbright commissions overseas.  To learn more about this program, visit this site: https://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/ Typically the student should be applying while still living in their home country.